Plans for Peaceful Education, Kingston
- Many schools will use the White Square exercise with students during the first week of the school year to inform students of PeaceQuest and invite them to think about how peace might be achieved.
- On Friday, Sept. 20, 2013, many teachers will focus on the significance of The International Day of Peace which will occur on the following day, Saturday, Sept. 21.
- Resources for this topic are being assembled over the month of June and will appear on the PeaceQuest website.
- Resources for Remembrance Day, Nov. 11, will also be assembled and distributed. The Department of Veterans’ Affairs has an interesting project called the National Schools Vigil and this information will appear on our website as well.
- The designation of PEACEQUEST SCHOOL has been proposed. A booklet of potential peace education activities will be assembled and distributed. In June of 2014, schools which have completed a requisite number of peace activities will be designated as a 2013-2014 PEACEQUEST SCHOOL.
- We will provide information on how to organize a field trip to the Peace Exhibit at the National War Museum in Ottawa. This exhibit is on view until January, 2014.
- We will attempt to create a panel of students who can speak about their personal experiences living through war and / or in a refugee camp.
- We will create list of suitable films, books, speakers and simulation games.
- We will provide lessons on how students can learn to deconstruct violent video games.