- This event has passed.
Regina: Peace Day Flag Raising at City Hall
September 18, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Today, September 21, is the day declared by the United Nations as International Day of Peace, also known as “Peace Day.” Established in 1981 by unanimous United Nations resolution, Peace Day “provides a globally shared date for all humanity to commit to Peace above all differences and to contribute to building a Culture of Peace.”
This year, World Peace Day has a special meaning for Canadians:
- Canada has been making war in Muslim countries since 2001. That’s 16 years of endless war.
- Earlier this year, Canada strengthened its commitment to war-making by increasing its war spending by 70% over the next 10 years.
- There is also violence at home in the form of on-going systemic racism against Indigenous peoples.
- Islamophobia is also on the rise in Canada.
- Class violence too is increasing, with more and more people in our province and city having to choose between paying the rent and buying food.
- September 18, 2017
10:00 am - 11:00 am
- PeaceQuest Regina
- Florence dot Stratton at uregina dot ca
- Regina City Hall
2476 Victoria Avenue
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 3C8 Canada + Google Map